Redesign Template feature for GoAnimate.

In Goanimate, there is a feature called “Template” where user can drag & drop a ready made scene with backgrounds and characters included in it. This saves users time to create a scene from scratch.


Since the launch of the Template feature, we were happy to find out that a lot of users quickly adapted to use Templates to help them create videos more quickly. However, through watching user testing videos, we have identified a few usability issues we would like to address.

My Role

I was the lead UX designer for this project, and worked along side with another UX designer and one engineer. I executed user-testing sections, interaction desgins, user journeys, wireframes, prototypes and design specs.

The Process

Understanding the problem

We ran 6 rounds of user testing sections through, below is a summary of usability issues we identified based on user testing sections:

  1. Lack of visual hierarchy. Since Templates and assets (individual items such as props and characters) were grouped together visually, some users had mistakenly identified certain Templates as an asset to be added on the stage. For example, one user has mistaken a Text template as a way to add text to the scene. Hence, when they click on that template, everything that is currently shown on the scene is replaced by that Text template. Although this thecorrect behavior for selecting a Template, but not what the user was expecting. As we can hear verbally from the user how confused she was.

  2. Difficult to navigate between Templates categories. With the old UI, users had to choose a Template category very carefully, because if they cannot find what they need in one category, the only way to browse another category is to click the Back button and select another category. Imagine you were on hunting mode, where you really wanted to find something urgently, and you had to hit Back multiple times because each category you clicked did not contain what you want. It starts to become irritating very quickly. In short, the old deign has high interaction cost which a good design should always try to avoid.